CASPR is developing a series of one hour recorded webinars to highlight the groundbreaking work of our members. Please find the events below. Links to the recordings will be provided following the presentation, which can be found in the Webinar Recordings page.
Webinar 1: Setting the stage
March 23, 2023 at 11:00am EST
In this introductory webinar, team members will provide an overview of the field.
- Introduction to the series – Fiona Webster
- Critical sociology of chronic pain – Laura Connoy
- A critical perspective on ‘Acceptance of Chronic Pain’: meta-ethnography findings and future directions – Cassandra Macgregor
- Meanings of pain in newcomer populations: Towards a decolonize framework – Mehmoona Moosa-Mitha
Webinar 2: Methodologies: Institutional Ethnography
April 20, 2023 at 11:00am EST
In this second webinar, team members will provide an overview of institutional ethnography and its application to (chronic) pain scholarship.
- Drawing on IE to explicate the work of living with chronic pain and systemic marginalization – Fiona Webster
- Using IE to uncover the social organization of chronic pain and opioid use – Leigha Comer
- Tracing the discursive turn from painful bodies to the bottom line through institutional ethnography – Craig Dale
Webinar 3: Arts-based or newly emerging methodologies
May 25, 2023 – 8:00am EST
Building on the second webinar, this third webinar focuses on arts-based and newly emerging methodologies in the field of critical (chronic) pain scholarship.
- Methods and the Sociality of Pain – Jen Tarr
- Towards an ethical multiplicity in pain care: practising beyond the biopsychosocial model – Karime Mescouto
- A Visual Exploration of Graphic Pain Scales – Gabi Schaffzin
- Illustrating the abstract: Drawing as method in critical qualitative health research – Katherine Mah
Webinar 4: Gender and (chronic) pain
June 22, 2023 – 11:00am EST
In this fourth webinar, CASPR team members will discuss the importance of a gendered approach to (chronic) pain research. Please register here: https://westernuniversity.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rUEOG9aMR46ZhixDPu-GNg#/registration
Webinar 5: Pain and critical disability studies
September 21, 2023 – 11:00am EST
In this fifth webinar, CASPR team members will discuss the relevance and applicability of critical disability studies to the field of (chronic) pain. Registration details coming soon.
Webinar 6: Racism and experiences of (chronic) pain among racialized communities
October 26, 2023 – 11:00am EST
In this sixth webinar, team members will discuss the prevalence of racism in conceptualizations of, and approaches to, (chronic) pain, and will discuss experiences of (chronic) pain within racialized communities. Registration details coming soon.